Wednesday, October 20, 2010

More on classrooms and school design.

While my questions from yesterday's posts about school design remain unanswered (for now . . .) one think is clear - students absolutely notice their environment.  Most schools have some unpleasant/undesirable aspects to them, whether it is from age, lack of maintenance or otherwise.  If we think the students don't notice and/or don't care we're incorrect.

I found these pictures students sent in of their favorite and least favorite things about their school eye-opening.  The gross water fountain, locker room, bathrooms, etc. really do lower their morale.  Items such as a trophy case can be awe-inspiring and pressuring at the same time.  Comfortable chairs, artwork, and things that recognize and celebrate everyone are well-received.

As a teacher my main focus is on my own room.  I try to set my room up to be both aesthetically pleasing yet still show that my focus is on education.  I made sure that rules and posted and resources are accessible to students, yet I also try to show some of my personality and display outstanding student work.  Overall though, I want my room to be a comfortable learning environment for my students.  That's why this year I started off the first day with a scavenger hunt in which the students find various items in the room and try to get to know each other a little bit.  My hope was that in getting to know the classroom they would feel comfortable coming in everyday, knowing where resources and materials are, and knowing what is on/off limits to them.  I think it was a success and I plan to do it again next year.  Here's the PowerPoint I shared with my students after they completed the scavenger hunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment