Monday, October 11, 2010

Weekend Reading: It's Your Ship, Volume 1

Over the summer I was reading a lot about classroom management.  Partially this was due to a course I was taking, but also a lot of it was out of curiosity.  In my undergraduate courses I never learned anything about classroom management.  I learned all about curriculum planning, differentiation, literacy, special education, but never classroom management (or grading . . . but that's a whole other post).  The most I can remember coming up about classroom management was when one professor told us if we had good lesson plans and knew our stuff classroom management would never be an issue . . . ha!

Fortunately I had a great student teaching experience, and spent a year and a half as an instructional assistant before I entered the classroom as an independent teacher so I did have the opportunity to observe what worked well and what did not work at all.  Also, like all first year teachers I had a lot of "learning experiences" about how to more effectively manage my classroom.  Now that I'm in my third year of teaching I have a much better grasp on the groundwork of classroom management, but I still find it worthwhile and informative to educate myself further on the subject.  One of the books I read on the topic of management in general this summer was It's Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy by Michael Abrashoff.  This book came recommended by one of the school guidance counselors.  Although Abrashoff is referring to managing people in general (and more specifically people who have enlisted in the navy) he makes a lot of great points and observations that could be used in various contexts, including the classroom.



Chapter 1: Take Command

  1. Top reason people leave jobs (or quit/lose faith in school) is not being treated respectfully, being prevented from making an impact, not being listened to, and not being rewarded with more responsibility.
  2. Micromanaging won't lead to individual initiative.
  3. Get everyone involved and working toward a common cause/give them something to work towards.
  4. Implement a process that people will enjoy carrying out - little gestures go a long way/allow individuals to innovate.
  5. Don't give up on people until you've given them every opportunity to  learn and grow.
  6. Be as efficient as possible.
  7. Aim high, have a positive effect on people's lives and create the best organization possible.
  8. No one is capable of making every decision - train people to make judgments of their own.  Choose a limit at which you must be consulted on decision  making, then let people make their own decisions up to that point.
Teacher's Take
  1. I absolutely agree that a main reason students quit school isn't because it's too hard or they're not smart enough, but because they don't feel respected or that they're gaining anything from it.  
  2. I also agree that micromanaging will make students become dependent on the system and they won't be able to think for themselves.  I feel like this can especially be a problem in special education.  When I was an instructional assistant we were often encouraged to be so over-bearing that there was no way the child could make a mistake or slip up, or learn anything on their own.  Teaching a student to be completely helpless and depend on the teacher/assistant/parent/boss to get anything done is not going to make them a productive and valuable member of society.  People learn from their mistakes, and if we don't allow them to make mistakes they won't learn!  
  3. In schools the common thing people are "working towards" is grades.  Unfortunately this doesn't motivate all students.  I learned this last year when first trying to implement layered curriculum.  Some students need various types of motivation.  One interesting way of motivating students is through classroom based activities such as PATs which is a token economy system.  You can read more about it here.  Still motivation is a tricky area, you never know what will drive students.
  4. I've found that layered curriculum is super helpful in this area.  Students have choice in what activities they're going to do which always helps to quell some of the rebellious, "I don't want to do this and you can't make me!" attitude.  I always put as an option on my layered curriculum activities, "suggest something of your own," students have come up with great ideas!
  5. I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment, but unfortunately sometimes it's easier said than done.  Also I often feel that students have given up on themselves, and it is difficult to bring them back from this thought process.
  6. Agreed!
  7. Students rise to whatever standards/expectations you set of them.  Teachers should set their expectations high, and they should be prepared to help students rise to their expectations.
  8. I've found that students have a high level of "learned helplessness" and will expect you to make every decision for them and assist them in all sorts of menial tasks.  From day one it's important to set the expectations that students have a level of autonomy so you are not constantly pestered with things such as, "My pencil broke" . . . "Well go sharpen it!"  If students start taking more initiative with little things it's a good gateway into becoming more independent people and thinkers.
Chapter 2: Lead by Example
  1. Real leadership is done by example.
  2. When someone suggests something ask them, "Is there a better way?"  This makes people search for the best solution to their problems.
  3. When there is a problem ask yourself if it's you: Did you give directions clearly?  Did you give enough time/training/resources?
  4. Never forget your effect on people - optimism and pessimism are equally contagious.  Also make sure your people (students) know how important they are to you.  Remember you set the tone for your people/students.
  5. If you make a mistake take accountability for it.
Teacher's Take
  1. You are a role model, whether you want to be one or not.  You get to decide if you can be a positive role model for your students or not.  I'd rather be a positive role model and I think most teachers want to be as well.
  2. "Is there a better way?" is also a good way to address student misbehavior.  It's also a good way to prod a student to think about something deeper or re-think an idea they have for a project without sounding like you're criticizing them.
  3. When I first started teaching I would often find myself frustrated with my students for not doing what I asked of them.  Upon further reflection I would realize my directions weren't very clear or I was asking students to do something they weren't capable of or didn't know how to do.  Whenever I give a more complicated assignment I try to think of the skills a student would need to complete the assignment and then try to ascertain whether or not they have those skills or I need to teach them (pre-testing or an informal survey works well).  When something doesn't go as I expected I try to first see if the mistake was on my part (it's surprising how often it is . . .).
  4. This goes back to number one, being a role model.  Students can read your tone/expressions very well.  I try not to ever forget that.
  5. Again, I think this one comes back to being a role model.  So often when students make mistakes they try to make excuses or blame someone else.  Part of being a positive role model for your students is taking accountability for your actions.  If something went wrong and it is your fault, own up to it.  I can't think of a more powerful lesson for your students.  Also while you're owning up for it tell them how you plan to improve for next time (back to number two).
  6. I think this is a good way of gauging your actions.  Another good one, if the principal/parent/superintendent walked in right now would I be proud of this moment or not.

Stay tuned for next week for more reflections on It's Your Ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment